London Stories for 2014
The closure of their local library shocked the St James Street community. But out of the ashes they are building something incredible... In April 1997 Alison Griffin, three-months pregnant and with a toddler in tow, took a two-week holiday in Libya. When she got home, she went straig...
Three giant brass heads sit in a dark corner of the Black Cultural Archives in Brixton, London. Two are representations of a king, one is a queen mother. The people of the Benin Empire, in modern day Nigeria, made busts like these to glorify Oba – the divine king – and to ce...
A torrent of filthy rainwater crashes through the ceiling, interrupting Matt Hatton in mid-sentence. He’d been explaining how the group he runs helps homeless people across Kingston, south west London. Now he’s jumping out of his broken office chair to check the photocopier ha...
“It’s rarely a happy day for someone when they come to see me,” says Georgie Forshaw, a caseworker at Kingston Churches Action on Homelessness (KCAH). “But we offer help, and if they take it, we can change their lives. And that’s not bad.” Week...
- ‘I just knew that he could not break me’
- 'Children of my age died in front of me'
- 'If we are creative, we can solve problems'
- ‘Volunteering at The London Community Foundation was such a great experience for me’
- 'You see how happy the young people are. The things they have achieved'
- 'You do it because you think you love the guy'
- 'If you're feeling lost and alone, you need somebody to stand next to you'
- 'I can't go back to square one again'
- How one London charity is tackling loneliness and isolation
- Malcolm Dean on Southside Young Leaders' Academy
- A Brent food bank charity is helping to regenerate a deprived local community
- How one London charity is helping young asylum seekers to find safety and rebuild their lives
- An Interview with Streets of Growth
- Minister supports new Path away from gangs
- How to grow a healthy community
- Paul Cox: Seeing the power of a targeted gift inspired him to create a Donor Advised Fund
- Changing lives through film and football
- 'We are not trying to replace school, but supplement it'
- 'I wanted to help the community'
- The Mill: from closed library to community beacon